Over the last decade, there’s been a great deal of interest in discovering more about brain health and overall cognition. It has become more apparent that the brain needs a specific group of nutrients and ample oxygen to function correctly.
Unfortunately, most adults suffer from a natural decline in cognition due to the modern average diet, stress factors, environmental factors, and the natural aging process. This is why the use of products called nootropics has exploded in popularity over the last few years.
Nootropics are supplements designed to improve cognition, support brain health, and nourish the brain with nutrients it needs to function correctly. There are hundreds of nootropics on the market with dozens of individual ingredients.
Mind Lab Pro vs. Alpha Brain vs. Qualia Mind
Three of the most popular nootropics are Qualia Mind, Alpha Brain, and Mind Lab Pro. Let’s take a look at all three of these nootropics and see what they can offer, and determine which may be best for you.
Common Ingredients in All Three Nootropics
Before we dive into all of the products and what makes them unique, you should know that all three of these products contain a different blend of ingredients and doses to facilitate cognitive enhancement. However, they also do contain several common ingredients, which include:
- Tyrosine: Tyrosine acts as a precursor to dopamine, a powerful neurotransmitter that plays a role in motivation, thinking, and pleasure. Studies have found that higher dopamine levels lead to better cognition, productivity, and much more.
- Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 plays a vital role in cell metabolism and energy synthesis. Healthy vitamin B6 levels are known to ensure that the body has an adequate supply of energy – including to your brain.
- Theanine: Theanine is naturally found in green tea and has been shown to support focus, a calmer mind and can help you sleep more effectively to help your brain recover.
- Phosphatidylserine: Phosphatidylserine is a fatty substance that covers and protects brain cells. It also helps your brain carry messages between the cells, which can help keep your memory and mind sharp. Studies have found that it can boost brainpower, and in various clinical studies, adults taking it have scored better on memory and concentration tests.
- Bacopa Monnieri: Bacopa has been used for over 3,000 years and is said to support brain function. It also helps keep your mind and body relaxed while supporting vascular functioning to ensure strong blood flow to the brain.
Mind Lab Pro
The human brain is constantly working to ensure our entire body functions properly, even when we’re sleeping. This is why the brain needs a constant stream of energy and oxygen to maintain proper functioning.
Mind Lab Pro is designed to do just that. Its’ proven blend of 11 nootropic compounds helps supply your body with ample energy and essential nutrients it needs to help you maintain peak cognitive functioning all day long.
How Does Mind Lab Pro Work?
The manufacturer discovered the 11 most potent nootropics that can optimize six brain pathways from multiple angles. These six pathways are:
- Brain chemistry: Mind Lab Pro helps maintain proper brain chemical levels that optimize memory, processing speed, mood, attention, and much more.
- Brain energy: Mind Lab Pro busts brain fog and fatigue by supplying your brain with all the energy it needs to maintain clear thinking.
- Brain regeneration: You can repair, maintain, and nourish your brain cells for better growth and plasticity.
- Brain circulation: Improved circulation helps clear toxins, neuro-nutrient delivery and maintains oxygen levels in the brain.
- Brain protection: Mind Lab Pro fights toxins and the unhealthy structural changes that degrade the brain over time.
- Brain waves: Mind Lab Pro promotes alpha frequency, which supports calm alertness for creativity, productivity, and learning.
Benefits of Mind Lab Pro
Mind Lab Pro is one of the most complete nootropics on the market, which is why it has a long list of benefits. Here are just a few of the main advantages to taking Mind Lab Pro:
- Provides complete cognitive enhancement, including better memory, critical thinking, productivity, learning ability, and creativity
- Protects the brain from age-related decline
- Reduces stress levels that impair cognitive abilities.
- Improves mood and supports creativity
Best of all, Mind Lab Pro does not possess any stimulants like many other nootropics; therefore, the risk for side effects is low. To reap these benefits, take two capsules per day before you eat breakfast.
Unique Ingredients in Mind Lab Pro
In addition to the ingredients mentioned above, Mind Lab Pro uses several other clinically studied ingredients to aid cognitive enhancement. Some of these ingredients include:
All of the B-complex vitamins are known to support brain health in one or several ways. According to several studies, vitamin B9 can help support healthy brain aging, prevent brain cells degradation, and improve mood.
Lion’s Mane Mushroom
Lion’s mane is commonly used to enhance cognitive function and to prevent age-related cognitive decline. Studies have found noticeable improvements in cognition after taking Lion’s Mane, especially in older adults between 50 to 80.
Maritime Pine Bark
Maritime pine bark is rich in antioxidants that can easily cross the blood-brain barrier to help prevent brain damage from free radicals. It is also said to improve overall blood flow to ensure nutrients can reach the cells in the brain.
Cognizin is a particular form of citicoline that provides neuroprotection, improves memory and cognition, and may relieve stress and anxiety. Citicoline is a naturally occurring chemical found in the body. Studies have found lower citicoline levels can lead to cognitive impairment.
Rhodiola is a herbal extract used to combat both mental and physical fatigue. Studies have found that taking Rhodiola can relieve stress and anxiety.
These are just a few of the ingredients found in Mind Lab Pro. All of the ingredients found in Mind Lab Pro are natural ingredients and have demonstrated they are safe for use in various studies.
Alpha Brain is manufactured by the ever-popular Onnit Labs, one of the most well-respected names in the supplement industry. Unlike Qualia Mind and Mind Lab Pro, which are geared towards complete cognitive enhancement, Alpha Brain is designed specifically for memory & focus.
How Does Alpha Brain Work?
According to Onnit Labs, Alpha Brain uses clinically studied ingredients to facilitate enhanced memory and focus. It purportedly works in two ways:
- It generates more alpha waves.
- It aids in the healthy production of neurotransmitters
By generating more alpha waves, Alpha Brain can help you obtain mental clarity and better decision-making. Enhancing the production of neurotransmitters can also improve overall brain function and improve your memory and focus.
To reap the benefits of Alpha Brain, you have to take two pills with a light meal or snack. Most users take Alpha Brain in the morning, and it appears to have the best results when taking at this time.
Unique Ingredients in Alpha Brain
There are roughly a dozen ingredients found in Alpha Brain, proven to support memory and focus. Some of the powerful ingredients in Alpha Brain include:
Cat’s Claw is naturally found in the Amazon rainforest, and studies have found it provides neuroprotection, supports immunity, and helps short-term memory. Some research suggests it is beneficial in combating fatigue and anxiety as well.
Leucine is a critical amino acid that enters the brain more rapidly than any other amino acid. Studies have found that leucine directly helps supply the neurons and glia with a constant supply of glutamate, which plays a role in memory and focus.
Pterostilbene helps maintain integrity in the cell and supports neural communication. This enables neurons to make faster connections to improve critical thinking and memory.
Also known as huperzine A, toothed clubmoss acts as a natural cholinesterase inhibitor. This prevents the breakdown of choline to improve memory and protects nerve cells from breaking down. Some evidence suggests huperzine A can slow the cognitive decline associated with Alzheimer’s.
Qualia Mind is a powerful nootropic explicitly designed to improve cognition and critical thinking. According to the manufacturer, the ingredients found in Qualia Mind can help you think better, improve your productivity, and boost your energy levels all day long. It can purportedly work within 40 minutes and last you all day long.
How Does Qualia Mind Work?
According to the manufacturer, Qualia Mind’s primary function is to strengthen the neurotransmitters in the brain responsible for normal cognitive functions. This is what helps with memory, focus, and energy levels.
In total, there are four main ways in which Qualia Mind works to help support your cognition:
- Qualia Mind enhances brain-derived neurotrophic factors or BDNF. BDNF plays an essential role in transmitting brain signals and nerve impulses at a much faster pace, which helps your critical thinking, reaction time, and much more.
- It helps improve the overall health of neurons, which are responsible for helping cells in the body communicate with each other. Qualia Mind helps your body make neural connections faster so that your cells can better communicate and react to stimuli.
- Qualia Mind helps reduce stress levels in the body, impacting focus, productivity, thinking, and much more.
- Qualia Mind helps protect the prefrontal cortex, which is part of the brain responsible for cognitive thinking, problem-solving, social behavior, and much more.
What are the benefits of Qualia Mind?
Qualia Mind has many benefits from its’ proven blend of natural vitamins, minerals, and herbal extracts. Some of the benefits include:
- Higher, sustained energy levels throughout the entire day
- Better overall critical thinking and productivity at school, work, or home
- Improved memory recall and concentration abilities
- Protection from age-related cognitive impairment
- Reduced stress levels
To reap the benefits of Qualia Mind, the manufacturer recommends you take seven tablets on an empty stomach in the morning. The dose can be extended to an additional tablet if you desire, but keep in mind it does have caffeine, so it may upset your stomach if you are sensitive to caffeine.
Unique Ingredients in Qualia Mind
Qualia Mind has over two dozen different ingredients in each capsule, making it one of the more complex and thorough nootropics on the market. Some of the unique ingredients found in Qualia Mind include:
DHA is one of three omega-3 fatty acids. Studies have found it is essential for healthy brain functioning, reduces inflammation, and supports healthy circulation.
Ginkgo Biloba is known to protect neurotransmitters by forming a “protective shield” around them. This ensures neurons can make connections faster, thus improving memory, critical thinking, and other cognitive functions.
Acetyl l-carnitine helps nutrients cross the blood-brain barrier, which supplies the brain with the necessary nutrients to stay healthy and function properly.
Also known as velvet bean, Mucuna is said to provide neuroprotection and reduce stress levels. It also helps boost dopamine levels in the brain and is a natural source of L-dopa.
Also known as PQQ, this antioxidant has been shown to enhance the function of mitochondria. Mitochondria are the “powerhouse” of the cell, which means energy is generated and used. This process helps keep neurons energized and able to function correctly.
This amino acid has been shown to support neurotransmitter synthesis. Efficient neurotransmitter synthesis improves overall cognitive functions and also helps to boost mood as well.
These are just six of the many ingredients found in Qualia Mind. Other ingredients include forskolin, artichoke stem, taurine, theobromine, caffeine, vitamin B1, B3, B5, vitamin C, and D3. These ingredients have proven benefits to your brain health and overall cognition.
Which Nootropic is Best For You?
While all three nootropic compounds are excellent and have proven ingredients, they are best suited for different people based on individual needs. Therefore, we’ve made the following recommendations:
Best Overall Nootropic – Mind Lab Pro
Mind Lab Pro gets voted our #1 nootropic and the best overall choice if you’re looking to enhance your cognition. We chose Mind Lab Pro because of its’ proven ingredients, simplistic yet potent formula, customer reviews, and 30-day money-back guarantee.
If you decide to try Mind Lab Pro, you rest easy knowing you’re taking a safe, high-quality supplement with a stellar reputation. All 11 ingredients in Mind Lab Pro are backed by science and proven to be safe.
Overall, you won’t find a better nootropic product for complete cognitive enhancement than Mind Lab Pro. Whether you want to enhance your memory, thinking, learning, focus or productivity, Mind Lab Pro has the right ingredients to help you achieve your goals.
Best Formula & Ingredients – Qualia Mind
Both Alpha Brain and Mind Lab Pro are excellent nootropics, but they have simple, more basic formulas. Qualia Mind has arguably the most comprehensive formula with over 20 different ingredients.
This large formula gives it one advantage over most of its’ competitors: it targets all areas of brain health, not just cognition. It can help protect your brain, improve nutrient delivery, support neurotransmitter production, and of course, improve your cognition.
The only downside to having such a large amount of ingredients is that it is slightly more likely to cause potential side effects than Alpha Brain or Mind Lab Pro. In general, the ingredients are recognized as safe and should not negatively impact your health in any way.
Overall, if you’re looking for a diverse range of ingredients with proven benefits, Qualia Mind is your best choice.
Top Recognized Brand – Alpha Brain
If you’re looking for a solid nootropic that’s well recognized, look no further than Alpha Brain. Made by Onnit Labs, Alpha Brain has been touted by celebrities and athletes all over the world.
On the official website, Onnit claims to have already sold 1,000,000 bottles of Alpha Brain, which would make Alpha Brain one of the best-selling nootropic compounds ever. It’s even frequently promoted by the likes of Joe Rogan, who has one of the most popular podcasts globally with millions of viewers each day.
If you’re looking for a solid nootropic with a great formula made by a well-recognized brand, then Alpha Brain is your best choice. Otherwise, we would recommend going with Mind Lab Pro if you’re looking for a solid nootropic.
Mind Lab Pro vs. Alpha Brain vs. Qualia Mind Final Thoughts
Nootropics are great products that can significantly improve your cognition and enhance the health of your brain. If you’re looking for a nootropic, then any of the three nootropics we mentioned above are solid choices and will be able to help you achieve your goals in a safe, effective manner.
RELATED: Altai Balance Review: Negative Side Effects or Real Benefits
The links contained in this product review may result in a small commission if you opt to purchase the product recommended at no additional cost to you. This goes towards supporting our research and editorial team and please know we only recommend high quality products.
Please understand that any advice or guidelines revealed here are not even remotely a substitute for sound medical advice from a licensed healthcare provider. Make sure to consult with a professional physician before making any purchasing decision if you use medications or have concerns following the review details shared above. Individual results may vary as the statements made regarding these products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The efficacy of these products has not been confirmed by FDA-approved research. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.