Coronavirus or 2019 Coronavirus Novel is a virus that attacks the respiratory system.
This disease caused by a viral infection is called COVID-19.
The virus can cause disorders of the respiratory system, acute pneumonia, until death.
Virus 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), better known as Coronavirus, is a new type of coronavirus that is transmitted to humans.
This virus can affect anyone, both infants, children, adults, the elderly, pregnant women, and nursing mothers.
This virus infection is called COVID-19 and was first discovered in the city of Wuhan, China, at the end of December 2019.
The virus is transmitted quickly and has spread to other regions in China and to several countries
Corona means crown
“So the virus looks crown-shaped when viewed under an electron microscope.”Bhanu Sud, MD
Said infectious disease specialist at St. Jude Medical Center in Placentia, California, Bhanu Sud, MD.
MERS is an abbreviation from Middle East Respiratory Syndrome.
MERS-CoV is the abbreviation from Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus
Virus Corona Background
The virus, which has been infected in Saudi Arabia since March 2012, has never before been found in the world.
Therefore different characteristics with the SARS coronavirus infected 32 countries in the world in 2003.
The complete International Taxonomy virus Committee, The Corona Virus Study Group of the International Committee on Taxonomy of viruses on May 28, 2013, agreed to call the new coronavirus the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Corona Virus (MERS-CoV) both in public and scientific communication.
Symptoms of Coronavirus
The infection or COVID-19 can cause sufferers to experience flu symptoms, such as runny nose, headache, cough, sore throat, and fever; or symptoms of severe respiratory infections, such as high fever, cough with phlegm and even bleeding, shortness of breath, and chest pain.
However, in general, 3 Coronavirus Symptoms can indicate someone is infected with the virus, namely:
- Hard to breathe
According to research, symptoms of COVID-19 appear within 2 days to 2 weeks after exposure to the virus.
When to see a doctor
Immediately see a doctor if you experience symptoms of virus infection (COVID-19), as mentioned above.
Especially if the symptoms appear 2 weeks after returning from China or another positively infected country.
People suspected of being infected with the virus must be referred immediately to the nearest hospital emergency room to get proper treatment.
Causes of Coronavirus
Virus infection or COVID-19 is got by a coronavirus, which is a group of viruses that infects the respiratory system.
In most cases, it only causes mild to moderate respiratory infections, such as flu.However, this virus can also cause severe respiratory diseases, such as pneumonia, Middle-East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
The animal is suspected to transfer this virus to a human. And later discovered that the virus also spread from human to human.
A person can get COVID-19 through a variety of ways
Accidentally inhale saliva splashes from sneezing or coughing sufferers of COVID-19.
- Hold the mouth or nose without washing hands first, after touching an object affected by saliva splashes of COVID-19 sufferers.
- Close contact with people with COVID-19, such as touching or shaking hands.
This virus can infect anyone, but the effect will be more dangerous or even fatal if it occurs in elderly people, pregnant women, people who are sick, or people whose immune systems are weak.
Pets such as dogs and cats can get this virus.
However, they will not pass it on to humans. Research shows that many animals are susceptible to coronavirus.
- Birds have avian coronavirus.
- Pigs have porcine coronavirus.
- Cows have bovine coronavirus.
- Whereas horses get Coronavirus Equine.
What about dogs and cats?
Coronavirus In Dogs
Dogs can be infected with this virus. This disease causes diarrhea, vomiting, and intestinal disorders in dogs.
This virus spreads through feces, especially when puppies eat feces.
Dogs can also be infected with the coronavirus, which attacks breathing, making it cough, sneeze, and mucus.
Coronavirus In Cats
Unlike dogs, the virus in cats usually makes them flu or less healthy.
However, in 5 to 10 percent of infected cats, the virus can mutate and cause Peritonitis Feline Infections, a disease that is almost always fatal.
This disease usually attacks kittens. According to Dr. Niels C. Pedersen from US-Davis, viruses from various animals can exchange genes.
Some coronaviruses in cats, for example, are formed from pig and dog coronaviruses.
This coronavirus gene exchange occurs when a virus infects the same animal simultaneously.
To determine whether the patient is infected with the Human Coronavirus, the doctor will ask about the symptoms experienced by the patient.
The doctor will also ask if the patient is traveling to the virus endemic area before symptoms appear.
To confirm the diagnosis of COVID-19 or Coronavirus 229e, the doctor will carry out the following follow-up examinations:
- Blood sample test
- A throat swab test to examine sputum samples
- Chest radiograph to detect infiltrates or fluid in the lungs
Corona Virus Treatment
About virus infection or COVID-19 can not be treated, or there is no Coronavirus Vaccine yet.
But there are several steps that doctors can take to relieve the symptoms, namely:
- Providing fever and pain relievers. However, doctors will not give aspirin to people with COVID-19 who are still young.
- Encourage sufferers of COVID-19 to take a warm bath and use a humidifier to relieve cough and sore throat.
- People with COVID-19 to get enough rest and not leave the house to prevent the spread of the virus.
- Help the sufferers of COVID-19 to drink lots of water to maintain body fluid levels.
Complications of Coronavirus
In severe cases, virus infection can cause the following serious complications:
- Secondary infection of other organs
- Kidney failure
- Acute cardiac injury
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome
Until now, there is no vaccine to prevent virus infection or COVID-19.
Therefore, the best prevention method is to avoid the factors that can cause you to be infected with this virus, namely:
- Avoid traveling to China or other countries where the virus transmission has been found.
- Use a mask when outdoors, especially in public places or crowds.
- Wash your hands regularly with water and soap or hand sanitizer containing alcohol after outdoor activities.
Avoid contact with animals
Especially wild animals. In case of contact with animals, wash your hands afterward.
- Cook the meat until it is thoroughly cooked before consumption.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Do not touch the eyes, mouth, and nose before washing hands.
- Avoid being close to someone who is sick.
- Keep clean objects that are often touched and environmental cleanliness.
Prevent The Virus
For someone suspected of having COVID-19, there are several steps you can take to prevent the virus from being transmitted to others, like:
- Do not leave the house, except for treatment.
- Contact nearby CDC Coronavirus.
- Try to stay apart from other people for a while. If it is not possible, use a bedroom and bathroom that is different from what others use.
- Prohibit and prevent others from visiting or visiting you until you are completely healed.
Do not stick with people who are sick
As much as possible do not have meetings with people who are sick.
- Avoid sharing the use of cutlery and drinking equipment, toiletries, and sleeping equipment with others.
- Wear a mask and gloves when in a public place or with someone else.
- Apply cough ethics and use a tissue to cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, then throw the tissue in the trash.